Sunday, September 21, 2008

Growing Up & Getting Out

As you get older, you being to learn how your entire life is shaped by two things: lying and fate. The optimists are going to argue and the realists might also, as they might not be as spiritual as to allow fate to play such a part in their lives, but it's true nonetheless. I can prove it.

Backstory:
When I was about 12 years old, my mother went out to run an errand and told me to take a shower by the time she got back. Upon return, she asked if I had, in fact, showered. I said yes. She saw that nothing in the shower was wet, yelled at me for lying, and - in typical mother fashion - washed my mouth out with a bar of soap.

A few years after this, when I was in middle school, I was a miniature kleptomaniac. I'm sure I didn't know that word at the time, but the excitement of taking things like clock rings (remember those?), eyeshadows and plastic bracelets from Claire's or the CVS was my favorite. My mom would always see a new little accessory or something of the sort and ask where/when I got it. I always had an answer. I wonder if she ever knew. One day, I grew a conscience and decided to stop. My conscience has been growing ever since.

Most of my life, I have adopted honesty as my best policy to the point of fault. One day, the woman who put this outlook on me changed it.

About two or three years ago, I was at college and on the phone with my mom complaining about one boy or another. She revealed to me that sometimes she lies to her boyfriend! White lies, of course, but nonetheless deliberate lies! I was shocked. They are long distance, so she would tell him that she was going out with her girlfriends on a certain night, even though she wasn't, just to keep him wondering. My world was shaken. I started to learn that it is necessary to twist the truth sometimes for the sake of the game.

Fast forward to this past week at work. I learn a lesson from my boss which is to keep it short and simple. I, apparently, am too open and honest and do not need to be telling everyone the most intricate details of the process. I just need to deal with their concerns and make whatever they need come true.

I guess this is mostly just an observation but I think it is curious that the lessons that I'm learning as I grow up are mainly to lie. It keeps the sad people happy and the happy people happier.

As for fate, you just never know what is going to happen. And it all happens for a reason. Cause and effect. Action and reaction. And hindsight is 20/20. However, when you're "in it", regardless of what you believe about fate...I'm not sure it makes dealing with it any easier.

I think I'll start exercising. I have some aggression I need to get out.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home